Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Psalm 73, Shadow, and a Walk

Psalm 73
1 God is indeed good to Israel, to those who have pure hearts. 2 But I had nearly lost confidence; my faith was almost gone 3 because I was jealous of the proud when I saw that things go well for the wicked. 4 They do not suffer pain; they are strong and healthy. 5 They do not suffer as other people do; they do not have the troubles that others have. 6 And so they wear pride like a necklace and violence like a robe; 7 their hearts pour out evil, and their minds are busy with wicked schemes. 8 They laugh at other people and speak of evil things; they are proud and make plans to oppress others. 9 They speak evil of God in heaven and give arrogant orders to everyone on earth, 10 so that even God's people turn to them and eagerly believe whatever they say.

11 They say, "God will not know; the Most High will not find out." 12 That is what the wicked are like. They have plenty and are always getting more. 13 Is it for nothing, then, that I have kept myself pure and have not committed sin? 14 O God, you have made me suffer all day long; every morning you have punished me.

15 If I had said such things, I would not be acting as one of your people. 16 I tried to think this problem through, but it was too difficult for me 17 until I went into your Temple. Then I understood what will happen to the wicked. 18 You will put them in slippery places and make them fall to destruction! 19 They are instantly destroyed; they go down to a horrible end. 20 They are like a dream that goes away in the morning; when you rouse yourself, O Lord, they disappear.

21 When my thoughts were bitter and my feelings were hurt, 22 I was as stupid as an animal; I did not understand you. 23 Yet I always stay close to you, and you hold me by the hand. 24 You guide me with your instruction and at the end you will receive me with honor. 25 What else do I have in heaven but you? Since I have you, what else could I want on earth? 26 My mind and my body may grow weak, but God is my strength; he is all I ever need. 27 Those who abandon you will certainly perish; you will destroy those who are unfaithful to you. 28 But as for me, how wonderful to be near God, to find protection with the Sovereign Lord and to proclaim all that he has done!



Five days ago we lost a dear, black, short-haired cat with golden eyes who had adopted us as his caretakers. When first we saw him, on his collar we found the name “Shadow”. Shadow showed up at our house starving. My mom would feed him outside everyday. His owners basically disowned him, and even took his collar off. So sad. He ate and lived outside our house for years and kind of became our outside cat.

As it turns out his true owners had gotten a new, bigger cat. They didn’t keep up with Shadow (who lived outside their house, at the time, with the new cat), nor did they take care of him or make sure that he was getting enough to eat with the new cat around. That’s why he showed up at our place starving. Pet owners who neglect their animals really burn me up!!!

This past winter, we took Shadow inside because he was sick with asthma. But we found out later that he also had a growth inside his lungs. He passed away supposedly from the tumor rupturing. We miss him horribly. It hurts when we think about him or don’t see him outside where he would normally be. He would always come to greet us whenever we came home or whenever we went outside. Shadow was such a good, sweet cat, and now he is with the Lord.



Tonight, I was walking outside to take a break and to get some exercise, when I saw again, as I often do, the constellation of the lion directly overhead with its lovely stars, seaming to walk along with me wherever I tread. As I walked and thought about the events in my life and the challenges I face, I am reminded that The Lion is ever with me wherever I go and in whatever I do. He is with me even during the times when it feels like He isn’t there at all. He will never leave us nor forsake us. Praise be unto The Living God!

24 comments:

Aslan said...

Hey Blondie! :D

Yeah, it's a sad story. Shadow was awesome. I'm glad we were able to help make his life better.

Poor dog! I hope she's with someone nice now too. Somewhere in the Old Testament, I think, is a verse about the animals rising up at the judgment and accusing the people who abused them. Something like that. People better start treating their animals better, because God cares about them! :)

Aslan said...

Hi Aly! Thanks. I really appreciate it! :)

Aslan said...

Thanks Muffy. :) Sorry about your losses too. Gah, this world stinks, but one day we won't have to deal with death! :D

Elaienar said...

That's too sad about your cat. I offer my sincerest condolences and things.

Aslan said...

Thank you, Elai. :)


Thanks Krissy. Man, that's awful that those people lost their animals. Stupid tornados. I'm glad you're pets are OK! You're welcome! :) Have a good week!

Carmelita Spats said...

Aslans growl scared the crap out of me. :( I tottaly forgot about it! HA!! HI!

Aslan said...

Hey Zaya!

Hahahahaha! :D Lol.

It's good to "see" you again! I hope you and Anya are doing great! :)

Aslan said...

Hey Eowyn,

Your welcome! :) I'll be right over. I hope everything's OK.

I got it by copying and pasting the code directly into my template. The person who made the code put it up for others to use. If you'd like to have it, I might be able to dig up that link!

Mosey said...

Oh, thats sooo sad! we found a cat one time and called him Shadow.he was all grey and looked so much like a Shadow. Tohru didn't like him all that much. and Daddy didn't either. >_< I'm really sorry your cat died.

Trufflehunter said...

aw I'm so sorry to hear about your cat!! I know if my cat died I'd feel like a part of me died too, cliche as it sounds. what awesome verses...I need to remember...

Aslan said...

Thanks Mosey. :)

Lol. Tohru didn't like Shadow? That's just the way most of my cats are. They were all strays at one point or another, and it's hard for them to get along. :P!


Hi Truffle!

Thanks. :) Yeah, I'm always amazed at all the incredible things the Bible says as I read through it. It's the best book on the planet or anywhere else for that matter. Of course! :D

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

I'm sorry about losing your cat. Stuff like that is very hard! I am glad God spoke to you through that hard time!

Aslan said...

Hi Dankika! Thanks. :)

Yeah, it still hurts, but I'm feeling better about it. Partly because I'm so busy I don't have time to think about it, and partly because I remember that he's with the Lord.

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had to put my dog to sleep as I think you know recently. It gets better. You will always miss your pet, but it won't be so sad soon.

Aslan said...

I'm sorry about Chuck. I prayed that he would last a long time, and I'm glad that he lived longer than expected. :) That's so true. Thanks!

Aslan said...

Thanks, Krissy! I hope you had a wonderful Easter too! :D

Aslan said...

Boy did I! I don't think my orthodontist was the best. The wires would always tear up my gums, tongue, and the insides of my cheeks something fierce.

Mucho pain ... some bleeding ... thank goodness for wax to cover some of the worst areas of that torture apparatus! :P!

Aslan said...

Hey Eowyn! Thanks for stopping by. I should be blogging again soon... :)

Janelle said...

mm i'm really sorry to hear about your cat. thats really sad... i had a cat who died once too, he got hit by a car.

braces!! eww i have them on right now, and will for another... year and a half *sigh* i hate them so much, they're horrible.

well i hope you're doing well... ttyl!!

Aslan said...

Hi Janelle! :)

Thanks. I'm sorry about your cat too. Man, cars...

Ack! Another year-and-a-half. Whoa, that stinks! I know. They're awful! Some sick mind came up with them to supposedly improve your smile. Funny thing is, when I had them on, I never smiled so little! :P Lol.

Carmelita Spats said...

Hi!

Aslan said...

Howdy, Zaya! :D

Trufflehunter said...

you really need to blog! :D

Aslan said...

Yes. Time is so scarce right now. :P!